It’s impossible to be sustainable. For the individual, the simple act of being alive means doing damage to the planet. For a company, merely being in business and creating new products means being a polluter. That’s the harsh reality of the 21st Century.
At Chalk Rebels, we realize we will never be a fully sustainable company, but we try hard to limit the harm we do as much as possible. This page outlines our efforts to reduce our environmental footprint.
The core mission of our company is to reduce the use of chalk powder in the climbing community by offering alternatives, and educating people about the damage chalk powder does.
We contribute 1% of revenue to environmental charities through the 1% for the Planet program. Our environmental action at Chalk Rebels focuses on two main causes: reducing plastic pollution & reforestation. We try to limit the use of plastics in our products and plant one tree for every product sold in collaboration with One Tree Planted. For transparency we publish all tree planting certificates at the bottom of this page.
Next Goal: Carbon offset our shipping.
We produce skin care products and accessories for climbers. These product inevitable cause pollution. For each product, we try to limit the damage we do. If we can't avoid doing the damage in the first place we document it so we can improve our processes over time.
- Chalk Cream: Produced in accordance with all cosmetics regulations in Europe. Next goal: switch to aluminium tubes.
- Crystal Chalk: Produced in accordance with all cosmetics regulations in Europe. CO2-neutral production. Next goal: switch to aluminium tubes.
- Repair Cream: Produced in accordance with all cosmetics regulations in Europe. CO2-neutral production. Next goal: switch to aluminium tubes.
- Repair Balm: Produced in accordance with all cosmetics regulations in Europe. CO2-neutral production. No plastic used in consumer packaging.
- Climbing Brush: No plastic used in packaging. Made from all-natural materials: wood and boar hair bristles. Next goal: verify wood origins.
- Finger File: No plastic used in consumer packaging.
- Chalk Ball: No plastic used in consumer packaging. (Product no longer sold)
- Acupressure Ring: No plastic used in consumer packaging.
- Finger Tape: No plastic used in consumer packaging.
All trees are planted & certified by One Tree Planted. We list all certificates below.
- Tree Planting Certificate #101250 IPFS NFT ID: 1
- Tree Planting Certificate #115030 IPFS NFT n/a
- Tree Planting Certificate #119004 IPFS NFT ID: 2
- Tree Planting Certificate #152930 IPFS NFT ID: 4
- Tree Planting Certificate #169692 IPFS NFT ID: 5
- Tree Planting Certificate #177441 IPFS NFT ID: 6
- Tree Planting Certificate #177478 IPFS NFT ID: 7
For the crypto nerds out there we publish the certificates on IPFS & wrap the certificate in an NFT token. The name of the ERC-721 NFT token is ARBOL (ARB), we published it on the ETC blockchain & you can find the contract here. We publish on ETC instead of ETH to limit the environmental damage & cut down on transaction costs. ARBOL tokens can be traded. If you want to own ARB shoot us a DM on Instagram.
- Updated 2021-04-02: 1. Added section about Tree Planting 2. Retired trees.chalkrebels.com domain
- Updated 2020-12-23: 1. To reflect our CO2-neutral production for Repair Cream, Crystal Chalk, and Repair Balm. 2. We no longer sell chalk balls.